If your air filter is dirty, then this means that it has been working hard to keep your air clean and free of dirt and other particulates. However, if it continues to stay dirty, it will be less effective in continuing to do its job and will make your entire HVAC system less efficient. While some air filters are disposable and have to be replaced on a regular basis, others are designed to be cleaned.
How Washable AC Filters Work
Cleanable air filters maintain a static charge intended to draw in dust, dirt, and particles. One advantage of a washable air filter is that they are more environmentally friendly. Although they cost more than disposable filters, they are more efficient and are able to be used for longer periods of time before needing to be replaced. However, this does require that they are maintained.
How Often Your Air Filter Should Be Cleaned
If your home’s HVAC system seems to be working less efficiently, one of the first things you should check is your air filter. You should also check your home’s air filter on a monthly basis. To determine if your home’s filter needs to be cleaned, remove it from the encasement and hold it up to a light. If you can see through it, then it’s fine. If you can’t see through it, then it needs to be cleaned.
How to Clean Washable AC Filter
1. Before removing the filter, use an upholstery attachment for your vacuum cleaner to clean the surrounding area so you don’t stir up dust and debris.
2. Remove the filter and vacuum around and inside the encasement area.
3. Vacuum any loose dust and debris off the front and back of the filter.
4. Go outside with your filter and use a garden hose to very gently spray the filter clean. Be careful to avoid using too much pressure!
5. Check the filter itself for further instructions, since some filters have to be sprayed from one side and not the other.
6. Clean out hard to remove grime using a cloth dipped in warm soapy water. Then rinse the filter with the garden hose and shake gently to get the loose water off.
7. Allow the filter to fully dry and then place it back inside your AC unit.
Contact Colman Heating & Air for HVAC Cleaning Services
Properly maintaining your air filter not only makes your home more comfortable for you and your family, it saves you money. For any questions about indoor air quality or air filters, contact our friendly and knowledgeable technicians at Colman Heating and Air. Our staff will be happy to help you in any way we can, any time of the year. Call us today or schedule an appointment online.